Post Christmas I have been reading a few good books. I will post a list of my 2012 recommendations on here shortly but this is one I have been particularly enjoying this week. Henry Cloud is a trained psychologist and is a consultant to business leaders, CEOs of fortune 500 companies and many other organizations helping people change and grow to be more effective. His practical explanations, years of experience, and insightful writing make his book a useful and challenging read. The key area that he sees people be “stuck” i.e. be hindered in their effectiveness in work, in relationships and in life is integrity. He goes through it outlining how integrity affects the “task” area of life as well as the “relational” area and helps us see how they are integrated and lead to our demise or ineffectiveness. Though I am not there yet, I know he explains how to begin to work on those areas of weakness so you can be a whole person. I am looking forward to seeing how the rest of the book plays out.
“Just as we leave the effects of our work behind in results, we leave the effects of our interactions with people behind in their hearts, minds, and souls. We leave a wake of people behind us as we move through their lives and their organizations.” – henry cloud
How are you doing in these areas of character?
1. The ability to connect authentically (which leads to trust)
2. The ability to be oriented toward the truth (which leads to finding and operating in reality)
3. The ability to work in a way that gets results and finishes well (which leads to reaching goals, profits, or the mission)
4. The ability to embrace, engage, and deal with the negative (which leads to ending problems, resolving them, or transforming them)
5. The ability to be oriented toward growth (which leads to increase)
6. The ability to be transcendent (which leads to enlargement of the bigger picture and oneself ) pp 34-35
Cloud, Henry (2009-10-13). Integrity: The Courage to Face the Demands of Reality (pp. 17-18). HarperBusiness. Kindle Edition.